So anywho, today was orientation day at school! I got up this morning after pushing the snooze button a required two times. The sky was still dark as I began the first day of my routine. So I got all ready, checked the bus map just one last time, grabbed a magdalena (muffin) and headed out the door. My commute consists of two buses, but this morning I gave myself enough time to forgo the first bus and walk to the second. I love a good morning walk. I probably will make that a habit of mine, we will see. So I hopped on the second bus and thank goodness, I did not get lost! I got off at the stop right in front of my school! The sound of kids playing filled the air, parents were dropping their kids off at the gate of the school, the little ones clamped to their parent. Oh my gosh, the little ones were so precious with their little backpacks, little outfits, little bodies. So freaking cute! So I talk to the guard at the gate, woo hoo, he knew about me! He lets me pass through and points out the director of the school. So I get up to him and start talking with him... he is so excited for me to finally be there! I find out that there is another American girl who will be teaching at the school with me! She is from Chicago and did her study abroad here, but is doing the teaching through a different program. She didn't show up for a few hours, so I had the pleasure of sitting in on the 4th grade class for an hour or so. The kids were funny. Everyone was itching for a turn to answer the teacher's questions, or sneaking glances back at me, or just saying it bluntly like they so often do here in España. One boy arrived late, took one look at me, and goes who are you? haha I had to laugh. so I had a spanish vocab lesson and a math lesson. It was a treat! :) Finally, I head down with the coordinator and Rachel is there and we get started.
dun dun dun.....
I will be working three days a week from 10-2. Umm, can it get any better than that? well the three days I am working Tues through Thursday! :) YESSSSS! Its cool too, because we will always have a teacher with us, so we are just supplemental to the classroom. They want us to bring games, songs, or whatever to class to go along with the theme or the topic of the day but we aren't required to teach the whole class, so that is awesome! After that meeting, we were on our merry little ways. I decided to walk all the way home. Its a little bit of a hike but I didnt have anything to do and its a gorgeous day outside. My windows are open right now and Im just listening to the hum drum of the construction and the birds outside. I wanted to nap in the park.. but alas, there isn't any grass here. So that kind of ruined my plan. I suppose I could have tried a bench.. but that just doesn't seem as appetizing.
Tonight the plan is maybe Flamenco show on the river, tapas, making friends out?? I need to get me some friends.
Ohhh, I got a library card yesterday!!! that makes things official! woo :) so I checked out a couple of spanish grammar books to help me boost my confidence when speaking... and Raquel and I got two movies to watch sometime. We made a rule to speak in spanish outside of the house but we have been just okay about it. We do a decent mixture of the two but speak spanish when around our other roommates. (or dont speak at all, ha im kidding)
hmmm. not too much else, got a bedspread yesterday for when it gets cold. they dont heat the houses here so even though its not too too too cold outside, inside it gets cold. (1.3.5-ers remember last october when the heating didn't work?? I think thats how its going to be here :( wah wah wah) Then hung out with a friend of Raquel's that she met in her consulate who is studying here and speaks spanish perfectly. Im always jealous of those people. but you know what.. it was in my cards to learn the hard way.. and I am absolutely fine with that :)
loving life..... :)
ps. HAPPYYYYY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment