Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The set of a Fairytale

I had been joking (with a little bit of seriousness) about wanting to visit Bratislava, Slovakia for quite a while with Rachel. To my great delight, it was a stopping point on my journey to Prague. Unsurprisingly, as soon as I boarded the bus and took my seat, I was asleep. This was due to the 3 hours of sleep that I obtained the night before as well as the fact that I still felt like death. I woke up to the bus slowing down and entering into the city of Bratislava. If you have ever seen the movie Eurotrip (and dont if you haven´t and you are family) you know that the characters end up accidentally in Bratislava, a run down, depressing, horribly impoverished city in Eastern Europe. Every one I have met, that has travelled to Bratislava has said that there isn´t anything there aside from some nightlife.. so I was interested in seeing it. Although I only saw the edge of the city and the bus station, it was absolutely not what I expected and nothing to write home about.. although, I suppose I am sort of doing that right now.. but not nearly as bad as the movie makes it out to be. Anyways, now that I have sufficiently bored you (I just wanted to let you know that I am counting it as a country that I have been to, because I set foot on the ground and used their restroom. Disputes?) I will carry on to the main story.

I woke up a second time to the bus slowing down but when I opened my eyes, I was greeted with the most beautifully architecture and background that a girl could ever ask for. I was astounded and so excited. I couldn´t take it in enough. Although I was nervous about being there by myself, I was so anxious to get off the bus, start exploring and taking pictures. I never wanted to forget the sight that my eyes were gluttonously drinking in. The paint, beautiful pastel colors, adorned and detailed with gold accents and little cherub 3d figures (they called them barrached? idk) The hills and cherry blossoms surrounding this precious city. We made it to the bus station and I had only a slight idea of what I was doing. Great for travelling alone, right? Well, I had directions as to how to arrive to the hostel. So I walked around a little aimlessly for a second and entered the convenient shop at the bus station, hoping to find someone who spoke some English and could help me. I approached the counter cautiously, showing my directions and asking slowly how to arrive there. The guy was helpful enough. We got over the language barrier with a map and lots of pointing. Peerrrfect. I made it on the metro just fine. Then when I got off, I was to take the tram I was closest to (?) and go one stop. I figured I could just walk that, as I wasn´t sure where to buy a ticket and I didn´t want to get stopped and fined.. so I watched for the number I was supposed to take and followed it ... and followed it... it seemed to be going a lot farther than one stop. Finally I was like this isnt right.. I bet I was supposed to go in the other direction. The day was warm and I was working up quite a thirst (and a sweat) from lugging my duffel back around. I stopped for a second to take a few pictures and then turned around to my initial point. This time I took followed the right tram and made it to my hostel. I checked in and went upstairs to put my stuff down and change my clothes.
I talked with my bunk mate for a bit, she was in Europe writing a book and vacationing.. oh the lives of those you meet in a hostel. We chatted for a bit and then I was off to take in the city. My hostel was situated extremely close to the St. Charles´ Bridge, which was perfect because it was an awesome landmark. I walked that way, slowly taking it all in. The bridge is a pedestrian bridge, lined with gorgeous, dark, huge, religious statues. It has a very midieval feel to it. Because it is such a popular tourist attraction, it was full of tourists, art vendors, jewelry vendors, performers, and men who stay in child´s pose praying that you give them some money. I took my time wandering across, stopping to take it all in and to browse the paintings and photographs. As I made my way across, I wandered into the downtown area.

I passed by souvenier shop after souvenier shop, full of trinkets and mementos. By this time, I was starving so I was in search of a restaurant that would catch my fancy. My first stop was a vegetarian restaurant that was recommended in the map. I found my way there after purposely getting a little lost and walked in asking for a table for one (my first time ever doing that) Unfortunately, it is quite populare and you have to have a reservation, so they sent me on my way to their other restaurant. I made my way there keping my eyes open in case it didn´t work out. I passed through the main square, which was set up with easter markets, waiters calling the people into thier restaurants, tourists everywhere snapping photos, eyes focused upwards. I took a lot in as I wasn´t focused on anyone else. Finally finding the place I walked in. It is funny how when you feel uncomfortable, you think that everyone is looking and they can sense it. So as I timidly asked for a table for one (I was still getting used to it, okay) he said nothing here, try downstairs.. again, no luck. Who knew, a table for one can be hard to come by. So I decided on pizza. A perfect alternative. There was a restaurant around the corner with a cozy feel. A sign on the wall advertised a pizza and a glass of beer for about 5 euro. I took the bait. I walked in, asked for one and they pointed to an array of empty tables, I could have my pick. I sat in the middle on a bench lined with pillows. I asked the woman about the special and ordered my margharita pizza. As I sat there, I pondered what I would do in the short amount of time I was in Prague. I had a lot to squeeze in as I was there only a day and a half thanks to my bus mishap.
The waitress brought me my beer as I was writing in my journal and as I took a sip of the wheaty beer, I relaxed a little bit. Sometimes being on your own can be refreshing. I realized that I could do whatever I wanted and meet whoever I wanted. It was all on my time and I could figure things out about myself. I took it as a learning experience. How do I react in situations like this. My pizza came quickly after and I set aside my journal, although still glancing at my map for something to do. As I was making my way through the pizza, a jazz band came in and started setting up for the night. Alll righhht! :) All I could think about was how much my dad would love this right now. Last summer, we had such a fun time going to the jazz club in cincinnati and I couldn´t help but smile over this. More people started coming in, and I ordered a tea to ¨help¨ my congestion and to give me an excuse to stay for a bit. The jazz was good. They needed a singer.. but the instrumental part was beautiful. There is something about a great jazz band. It really is lovely music. Woah did I just say that? I finished my tea, paid my bill, and headed out to wander through the square and slowly made my way back to the hostel. I was exhausted. The run, run, run really gets to you. After a shower, I was out.

No comments:

Post a Comment