Monday, May 16, 2011

It is funny now, looking back on it.

I woke up with a start, thinking it was 11am thanks to the sunlight streaming in the window. I had a momentary panic attack thinking that I had slept through my alarm. Shit! was the first thought that ran through my head that morning followed by damn, my head hurts. I realized that luckily I had packed (thrown all of my belongings in my bag) before I fell asleep. I grabbed my ipod to look at the time. 6:15am. Thank goodness. I through on some clothes and ran to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I still needed to print my boarding pass and check out.

** sidenote: the night before, Rachel had gotten up to use the restroom and had noticed that the desk attendant was sleeping on the couch. Since it was so early, I hoped that I wouldn't have to wake anyone. I hate waking people up. Anyways, as I open the door to get to the common room, I see a body passed out on the couch. Damnit, my fear came true. So I go brush my teeth. When I come out, I am preparing in my head what I am going to say and walking over there. As I am about two steps from waking the person up, the desk attendant comes out of the kitchen announcing that he has put on water, do I want any? Ahh, I relaxed and smiled. I was fine, thank you.

I paid for my stay and told him that I needed to print something. I go and check my email. Nothing. I check my spam. Nothing. No boarding pass. Shit?! and i have to leave and run there. So Rachel tells me to just go and see what happens. Okay. easy enough. I mean the transaction had gone through on my card so I should be on their list. So I say goodbye, check out, and head towards the metro station. I had bought my metro ticket the day before so I stroll down the steps, hand my ticket to the attendant and wait for the metro. I get on, all alone and ready to start my first solo trip. I am trying to remember how it is that I transfer lines to get to the next metro. It works out beautifully. I make it to the spot where I catch the next metro without any problems when a horrible thought crosses my mind.

Did I take my passport out of our locker last night and put it in my bag? I remembered getting my wallet but not the passport. As I am rummaging through my bag, knowing that I am not going to find it but hoping so, my thought is confirmed. I turn around and go back to where I started all the while cursing myself for being an idiot and at the same time, thanking God for reminding me because I would have been shit out of luck in getting back to Spain. Rachel was heading to France and I would have been stuck.

I get back to the hostel, ring the bell, "surprise?! I am back, I forgot my passport." I am sure he was just shaking his head up there. I run back into the room, waking Rachel up as I am rummaging next to her head in the locker. There is was in the back left-hand corning.. laughing at me, my passport. Well there wasn't any way that I was going to make that bus as it was leaving in that moment, so I go into the common room, buy another ticket and spend some time chatting with friends over skype and facebook.

finally, it is time to leave again and this time with everything in tow, I head out the door and make my way to the bus station, where I get excited about the new city that I am about to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment