Monday, May 23, 2011

Semana Santa.

Although I was traveling for most of Semana Santa (Holy Week) I wanted to catch a little bit of it. Sevilla is extremely famous for its Semana Santa processions. They are elaborate and the whole city gets extremely into it. Tourists/Pilgrims come from all over the world to watch. It can take an hour to walk one block. People are shoulder to shoulder.

As I live in the center, center of the city, right near the cathedral, i am in a prime location for Semana Santa. However, this year was a big bummer. It rained almost the entire week. Processions went out Palm Sunday and Holy Wednesday. The most famous ones were not able to leave there churches due to the rain. These figures are hundreds of years old and the carriers practice all year to take them out. It was a huge disappointment as they weren't able to leave their churches.

I attempted to see a procession on Saturday. The chairs were being set up, the security was out, people were dressed their best. After waiting hours, standing under a small overhang, bumming space under someone's umbrella, I gave up hope that any procession would go out and headed home, sad and disappointed.

That night, I set my alarm bright and early, hoping I would be able to catch the morning procession. It would arrive to the cathedral at 8:30. I didn't want to be late and I didn't want it to be too crowded so I headed there a little before 8am. The morning was gorgeous, exactly how an Easter morning should be.

I walked around the cathedral a few times, not sure if i missed it, or if it was happening. Sometimes I can be oblivious to things. The birds were chirping, the sun was shining, it was a perfect summer morning. I found some others standing by the cathedral and heard them saying that the procession was coming so I stood and waited. I had an awesome spot. There werent too many people out so I was able to comfortable watch the procession, I can't imagine what it would have been like with so many observers.

Photobucket

I haven't felt the sort of happiness and peace that I felt that morning in a very long time. The pasos were gorgeous. The joy in the air was contagious. The songs reminded me of the hymns we sing Easter morning in my home parish. I was a very happy and thankful girl. All I could think about was how I wished my family were there to witness this with me.

Don't worry about the KKK looking things, those are penitants and they were around before the KKK. They have nothing to do with eachother other than the penitants were the inspiration for the costumes of the KKK. Interestingly enough.

Disclaimer: I am not a videographer, and I dont have mad editing skills.

After watching the pasos, I headed into the cathedral for Easter mass. The attendant was informing us asking to get in, that it was a 2hour mass and that we would have to stay for the entire thing if we entered. I politely asked if there was another church nearby with a shorter mass, however I was meant to be at this one. As I went in and took my seat. An hour of music passed before mass started. So why didn´t they just say that there was an hour of music and mass would begin an hour later? Some things, I will just never understand. It was a beautiful mass with the bishop, lots of priests, the music was gorgeous, the altar was incredible, it was amazing,I couldn´t have asked for it to be better.

After, Raquel and I set off to a friends house for some brunch. After a few pancakes turned out disastrous, I went in with my pancake abilities (ha) and turned out a few perfctly round and toasty pancakes. We enjoyed a long brunch chit-chatting about this that and the other, before we knew it the time was 7pm and we hadn´t moved once. Raquel had to get back to skype with her mom and it was about to thunderstorm (out of nowhere) so we headed home. About halfway home, we begin to feel sprinkles. A little way farther, it begins to pour. We try to hide under the underhangs running across the plaza to get some cover. Our impatience wins and we decide to run from overhang to overhang keeping as dry as possible. Turns out, we didn´t stay dry and decided to just run home in the rain as there wasn´t any avoiding. I felt like such a kid. I know I am only 23, almost 24 but I was so happy to be running in that rain and laughing my little heart out. You are never too old to have some fun.

My great day/week ended with a skype chat with the whole family and it couldn´t have been any better!

***pictures and video to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment