.... Anywayyyys, back to my story. Raquel wakes me up and the last thing I want to do is get out of bed, but really.. can I say no to the beach? To my favorite place on earth?.. no. So I get up, throw a hat on my sick hair, put on my sandals, grab my packed bag and we head to the train station to catch the train. It was me, Raquel, and her two friends.. two of my new favorite people... wandering to Santa Justa, where I have been more times in the last month than the entire time I have been in Spain combined. We trekked down the street in the warm sunshine, across a freshly painted bikeway, trapesing green paint on our shoes and into the street... I wasn't even mad it was on my sandals.. 2 reasons.. 1.because we were en route to the beach and 2. because I was putting my mark on the Sevillana streets that I so often walk. It was a scene out of a movie... the movie of my life, which really should be filmed because funny things happen to me, but they are you had to be there moments... unfortunately.
but, I digress... ok, so we left our apartment hoping to make the 12pm train.. we got to the station at 11:50 and still had to buy our tickets.. so we walk rather quickly to the ticket counter and stand in what we hope is the shortest and fastest line.. well you may or may not know me and lines.. i ALWAYS, let me repeat ALWAYS pick the wrong one.. this time we were ok though.. the guy sold us our tickets and told us to run. So there we were running through the train station to make this train so we didn't have to wait another few hours. Laurel runs down the up ramp, so we are laughing, laughing and running (ok sprinting) is not a good combination... Shawnell and I make it to the train, the employee asks for the tickets and we make a signal that Raquel has them and look back to her a few feet behind us, waving the tickets in the air.. perfeccct. He lets us on and we make our way through the entire train, 5 or so cars to find our seats.
I am sure that the others on the train were loving us, we were full of laughter, giddyness, and energy. When we finally got to Cádiz, we headed to the hostel without a concrete knowledge of where it was or what landmarks were given to us in the directions. Somehow though, Raquel and I have great luck with finding our hostels when we shouldn't be able to. The same thing happened to us in Granada when we went and we ended up running straight into it, fortunately for us, the same thing happened this time.. and we skipped a few steps finding our street exactly. We checked in, put our things down and headed off in search of food and a beach.. we have our priorities in order.
The streets in Cádiz are beautiful, the main difference between them and the others of spain are the bright colors that remind you that you are near the sea. The seafoam green, the coral, and the yellow paints drawing my eye to the stories they may contain. We lunched in the main plaza near the large cathedral. I have been so lucky to have such visual stimulation of gorgeous buildings and large cathedrals...I really am going to miss that. Can the USA build me some statues, fountains, and large cathedrals? or can I bottle up the streets of Europe to take to the states?
After lunch we headed to the beach where we sat and enjoyed the fresh and salty air.. I ended up getting a little bit of sun, of which I will not complain. :) Our night was spent walking in the windy, salty, sea breeze.... getting our dance on and being nerdy in the empty clubs. Believe you me, there is little more fun than breaking out the workout moves and limbo-ing in an empty club with your friends.
Day two, we were on the hunt for Mexican food. Oh how I miss Mexican food more than almost any other food. mmm mmm mmm. Here if you want to make some mexican food, its going to cost you a penny. ok not that much but its more expensive than other things so it hasn't made a frequent appearance on my dining room table. So we found this place on the map and headed in that direction.. we got to the right street but took it in the wrong direction and end up around the block.. two spanish men found us and asked if we were lost.. we replied no, but asked if they knew where this Mexican restaurant is.. you would have thought we were speaking in Martian.. Mexican? what? hehe... so they argued with each other for a while as to which restaurant it could be and where it is.. and then asked us if we were looking for pizza.. Im not sure where in the world pizza is Mexican and not Italian but these guys were set on taking us to a new pizza restaurant... so we were then proceeding to ask about Argentine, Brazilian, SouthAmerican, anything that would be somewhat similar to Mexican, giving us spicy, rice and beans. Finally they decide to take us in a certain direction and stop to ask another man who knows exactly where it is and they lead us there and we part ways. They were so kind and funny. It was out of a movie.. two men arguing over where a restaurant is and then proceeding to parade us there.
We settled in at an outdoor table under an umbrella and perused the menu. You know we were gonna start with chips and guac. My favorite. If I could consume guacamole 24/7 I wouldn't be angry about it. Our food was mediocre but friggen delicious if that makes sense. I would go back again. After, we headed back to the beach... it was quite windy and cool but we were determined. We chose a different beach and explored the tide pools... I picked up some sea glass and Raquel found a pretty shell and put it in her purse. We sad by a wall to block the wind from us and actually got quite a bit of sun and it ended up being really warm. Later after some magazine reading, Celine Dion singing, Raquel checks her purse and sees that her shell has grown legs!!! She accidentally stole a hermit crab from his home and mistook him as a shell. We named him Jaima (high-ma), he was gross. So after we got the heebs a little bit we decided to take him back to his home to set him free.. we found him a girlfriend, but she ran away so he was left all alone... pobre.
Then as we were doing what we do best and people watching, i see this female off in the distance with a very tiny baby frolicking in the water.. i think 2 things simultaneously... first off: aww they look like they are having fun even though the water is pretty chilly and second, wow that baby is tiny. So at exactly the same time, Laurel and I are both like oh my gosh is that a baby?! as the woman throws the baby into the air and proceeds to thrust it under water. I was appalled! flabbergasted for a hot second until I realized that my perception was off and that the "woman" was a child and the "baby" was a doll.. but no kidding I had a minor heart attack. That night we were all feeling quite exhausted and had to talk ourselves out of the beds where we were storytelling and to the restaurant, which is saying a lot because if it is one thing that motivates me, it is food. So off we headed in the direction of a recommendation from the hostel staff... it was tapas, I am sure...oh yes, it was. Extremely good ones if I may say so myself. Anywho, after we debated going out but decided we could go for a nightcap. All I wanted was a white Russian,although I wasnt sure that I was going to obtain one in Spain. We headed to a quaint Irish pub.. it was our scene, not crazy but not dead.. and the bartender wasnt difficult to look at either, I mean.... So we ask the girl who takes our order if she has ever heard of a white russian.. she says the cute one knows how.. PERFECT!! He made them for us with a little guidance.. and we were happy happy girls. Later he asks us if we were with the American guys from earlier who had taught him how to make the drink.. what are the odds of that? well we weren't but they did come up to us later and we ended up hanging out with them all night. They were fun.. it seems to be a trend though that I meet boys of a specific type.. not that its a bad thing.. its just funny. again, I digress.
The next day we planned to beach again before heading home but these chicas were not careful the day before and burned our way out of that option. So we headed to a breakfast and played cards until our train home.

and I am about a week behind on my blogging.. im getting there, I promise. More updates soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment