Sunday, February 13, 2011

El Segundo Dia... snakes, tea, and belly dancing

After our fabulous breakfast on Sunday, we had a little bit of time to kill.. read we had an hour and twenty minutes. Not long enough to do anything yet too long to just sit around the riad... so we took a walk and now we have a great story.

We headed to the square as we knew our way there. The snake charmers, the henna women, the orange juice stands, and the nuts carts were out in full force. If you take pictures the people expect you to pay for them, and we arent talking 50 cents (fity cent), we are talking like 5 dolla... so we tried to sneak them. Guess who got caught... yep, Brianna. hehe. Anyways, she didn't actually get caught but she thought she would give them some money, well that turned into her getting roped into putting a snake around her neck... so obviously they came over to the rest of us. Neither Rachel nor I are really fans of snakes.. read they are disgusting and make my stomach do flipflops. yuck, I just got the heebs thinking about them. So he is like just touch the snake.. she says no thank you (the thing is that we are too polite.. thanks a lot parents) so he gets aggressive B*E *A*G*G*R*E*S*S*I*V*E B*E*E *A*G*G*R*E*S*S*I*V*E and he takes her hand and starts rubbing the snake on it, then he puts the snake around her neck and clasps it so that she cant get out of it, then he tells me to take a picture... well silly me, forgot her camera in the hotel.. dont want to talk about it... so i cant. Rachel is freaking out, the snake guy is working the room, and the other girls are rolling in a pile of snakes.. ok, I made up that last part but they were doing their thing wanting to touch the snakes. Long story short, Julia comes over, takes the pic, the man removes the snake, and Rachel is free but scarred for life... and we go to our cooking lesson. The end.

Photobucket

At the cooking lesson, we more watched someone cook than learned to cook. ha. My kind of cooking. The only part we did was chop onions.. but I think they were disappointed with our skills. The way the women in Morrocco cut onions is they cut off the ends, peel the first thick layer than cup it in their hands and go to town with the knife.. umm no thank you do I want to miss and stab myself in the hand.. ill stick to the cutting board. So anyways.. the translater was like uhh yeah Moroccan women are very strong.. they spend a lot of the time in the kitchen. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I will never have skills like that. So we watched the woman make the meal, drank some tea, chatted it up with our translator guy, and wrote down the recipes. When it was finished cooking we were able to eat it!!! mmmmm. It was delish.

Photobucket

After our fantastic lunch.. we headed off to find the baths to make our appointment, passed by the mosque, just fyi this mosque gave the inspiration for the giralda (bell tower) to the cathdral in Sevilla, and stopped to take pictures and found ourselves wandering in the souks in the completely wrong direction of finding the baths.. but that is ok. We ended up completing our first bartering challenge and getting some cutie patootie tea pots to have our future tea parties with. You know there are many tea parties in my future.. I am kind of obsessed with both tea and theme parties.. so get ready. I will even send out cute little invites and have tea cakes and mini sandwiches.. it will be a blast. woah, talk about going off on a tangent. OK anyways. We went back to the hotel, Rachel made it rain, had a little dance party and then headed back out into the souks. (we spent a lot of our time here) The day ended with us going into a shop with the intention of buying lamps. haha i have a story about that as well.. future post.. where we meet Reda.. prounounced Rita. Reda starts to talk to us about this that and the other.. tells us his whole life story and then starts pulling out rug after rug after rug telling their stories... well I fall bait to this wonderful sales tactic and after 45 rugs are pulled out and each story was told I decided I was going to buy one. I completed my first bartering experience! Wooooh go Jan. Those of you who know me.. I hate arguing, I hate awkwardness, and I hate being pushy.. all of which I had to do in order to get this rug for a good price. I ended up paying what I thought was fair and half of what he originally told me.. not bad right? So now, I have an awesome rug that I will frame and use for art in the future. After I bought the rug, he managed to sell some lamps to my friends and then talked us into letting him show us a good restaurant to eat in.. of course, they were friends and/or family of his. The place we settled on was a restaurant with a belly dancing show.. and by belly dancing show, the dancer did the shortest dance ever as we were sitting down and she was never seen again. Cool. but the views, the company, and the conversation were great. We laughed a lot.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment