Monday, October 25, 2010

Locking my love for Sevilla on the bridge and throwing away the key

I've been leaving you all hanging with my lack of an update. Its due to the fact that I want you all to think I'm here and super busy! :)

Nope, Im still just living the relaxed life... which equals my favorite... im not sure i will be so good at the fast paced life. i like to sit and eat, and sit and drink, and sit and hang... you get the point

Last week was my first full week (3 days) of teaching. It was great, I love my Tuesday classes. The kids are so funny. They are not controlled at all.. everyone just does what they want until the teacher smacks the blackboard. I'm helping out with science. Their science program is bilingual here, so they learn their concepts in spanish first... and then it becomes extremely basic for the kids to get it... unfortunately, many of them don't. So I come in to try and explain things in other terms and to perfect their pronunciation. I'm so thankful I get to help them out, but it definitely isn't as fun as reading or arts and crafts would be!

Funny story with that as well... the 6th graders are learning about reproduction... so you know what that means.. shy, little, conservative me had to say words that I have never said before. So my face was bright, bright red and I was telling myself inside my head to not laugh and to be mature while having these children repeat words back to me in english. Ayyy que horror. Lets hope that is over with.

So then, on thursday one of the teachers invited me to go out with her and some of the other young teachers, so I accepted and we went to the plaza where everyone hangs on thursday nights and had a great time.

My friends from Madrid came down on Friday so that I could show them around Sevilla. Little did they know, it would be my first time doing a lot of the touristy things as well. Friday, we took a walk around the city.. literally all the way around the city. We decided to eat some ice cream and Raquel was like we have to go to this one place .. so we trek over there. We are walking along a street and there are like 19 women just hanging out in their doors, giving us some weird looks, one looks like she is a he dressed in drag, just chewing on her purse string. Im like where. are. we? haha so we get our ice cream, hang out... the ush. Raquel is like oh yeah that street we just walked down is where the prostitutes hang out.. we were like no shit, sherlock.. we just saw nineteen! She was like we did?! they were out. haha yes, the were out and about. If people could hear the ridiculous things that come out of our mouths, we could have a number one comedy. I saw wild parrots for the first time. I didn't realize they flew free in cities, in the wild! I thought they only lived in the zoos and jungles.. So I got smart this weekend.

Saturday, we went to the Roman Ruins outside of the city. Roman Ruins seriously just captivate me... they boggle my mind how advanced they were in their day and age and how so much of it is still around and the condition that it is in. Some of the mosaic flooring was perfectly in tact. It was really cool. The town was huge back in the day. Once we got back into the city.. we lunched (my favorite), went to Plaza de España, which was finished. No more construction and there was water in the canals and people were canoeing.. it was really cute. We wandered through Parque Maria Louisa and sat for a little while, just chatting and enjoying nature and each other. Seriously, I want to live in a park. I just love them. We got a stellar view of some girls doing the brazilian martial arts next to us.. it was quite comical actually.

Sunday, we had planned on being out of the house at 9 to finish the sightseeing.. well upon coming home from being out saturday night.. I neglected to set my alarm. I woke up at 10:40 in a panic because we had to get to the cathedral and the alcazar! I literally lept out of my bed and ran into the living room to wake the sleeping beauties. No Worries.. we got to see everything with ample time. So, we headed to the Alcazar, which is gorgeous. It is composed of 4 palaces and a giant garden. I'm in love. I want to sit in the garden all day with a book, smelling the jasmine and loving life. Future checklist: have garden, complete with male peacocks. After we had our fill of alcazar we headed for some lunch and some cathedral wandering. The Cathedral here in Sevilla is the largest gothic cathedral and the third largest church in the world. It is absolutely incredible. Christopher Columbus' tomb resides in the middle of the cathedral and the bell tower offers spectacular views of all the city. I could have looked out for hours. The rooftop pools were calling my name... what I would give to swim on a rooftop in spain. Another day... :)

over all it was a fabulously packed weekend of touring the city and eating.

On a side note. Raquel and I are moving. Our friend found a place in the center of the city right down the street from the cathedral (I can almost spit on it) and although the entire apt is the size of my current room.. we can not pass up the location and the big city living it offers. We are super stoked on moving. More to come on those adventures soon, I am sure. So for now, hasta luego y un monton de besos!

xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment