This past weekend was quite an adventure for me... I hopped on a bus to begin the finishing preparations towards my life in Espana... although, don't get me wrong, I still have quite a ways to go. :/
So Thursday afternoon, Alex takes me to the megabus stop, which in and of itself is quite an adventure. We are given a corner without a number for the location of the megabus. So, thinking bus, one thinks "oh, well this shouldn't be so hard to find. Even if we are only given crossroads. Of course, there must be a station or a little covered
bench where people can wait." WRONG (think voice of the guy from the end of the world) there is a small sign, the size of a no parking sign for the Megabus where you just wait until it shows up. So barreling down the street comes a two story bus honking pedestrians and cars out of its way so it can pull over to the side. They don't wait for anyone or anything. You get a honk (or three) if you are in the way. So Alex, kindly offers to wait with me until it is time to board since I have an hour, but anxious to get on with my first adult solo trip, I wave him away, hug him, and say hasta luego, amigo.
I made a friend while I was waiting. A nice girl who was going to chi, so we chatted for a while about how weird the megabus was and the random things we had in common. Then I boarded the bus for my 6 hour drive to the city. It really wasn't bad... no weird seat mate, I sat solo and aside from a little bit of traffic we got there problem free and on time. Christa, my lovely friend, met me at the bus stop right as we were pulling up. So wonderful to see her face after too long. We ventured around the city and back to her apartment before grabbing some sushi and frozen yogurt. Incredible might I add.
Friday was "THE DAY". I was off on my way at 9:45am towards the Spanish Consulate. I got great directions and didn't have any problems
I made a friend while I was waiting. A nice girl who was going to chi, so we chatted for a while about how weird the megabus was and the random things we had in common. Then I boarded the bus for my 6 hour drive to the city. It really wasn't bad... no weird seat mate, I sat solo and aside from a little bit of traffic we got there problem free and on time. Christa, my lovely friend, met me at the bus stop right as we were pulling up. So wonderful to see her face after too long. We ventured around the city and back to her apartment before grabbing some sushi and frozen yogurt. Incredible might I add.
Friday was "THE DAY". I was off on my way at 9:45am towards the Spanish Consulate. I got great directions and didn't have any problems
with the train or finding my way to the consulate. I went up and was an hour early, expecting to wait for quite a while... but lucky for me, I sat down for about 3 minutes before they called my number. The whole process took maybe 5 minutes and now in another 6 weeks I can find out the status of my visa application and make a return trip to pick it up. (get ready for another weekend Christa :)) After this I had a whole day to just mill about and see some sights.
I set off towards the bean. I had been there once before, but I am pretty sure everytime I am in Chicago I will end up passing by it. I stopped to get a map at a tourst center :/ i know, but it came in handy later on.
I set off towards the bean. I had been there once before, but I am pretty sure everytime I am in Chicago I will end up passing by it. I stopped to get a map at a tourst center :/ i know, but it came in handy later on.
My little solo walk lasted about 3.5 hours. I wish I had a pedometer to track the miles I went. My legs are still sore from the weekend and my feet hated that I wore flipflops... (neosporin is great for hurt feet) After making my way along Michigan Ave., stopping in a few stores, seeing Navy pier from a distance, and walking along State street, I met up with some wonderful people to tag-a-long on a furniture shopping exursion, dinner, and a movie. We saw the movie "Restrepo", which was really enlightening about Afghanistan. So if it is in your city and you can support it, you should. Intense, but I only cried a little. It was so nice that it worked out we were in the city at the same time and able to get together. I really enjoyed hanging out all day :)
The trip was so short... the next morning at 10 I was on my way back to reality... and the hum of monotony. I can only hope the rest of the visa process both in the US and Spain will go as quickly as this one... who are we kidding, I probably just set myself up for failure with that one. 2 months and 2 days, I will be on my way ... Holy moly.
But I proved to myself (sort of) that I can do things alone. I didn't feel weird being alone and I didn't really get lost... and I made friends. :) It feels good. I am happy.

No comments:
Post a Comment